What Is This Part?

What Is it?

Recently, Reader Beth Leverman, who is rebuilding her 1967 Beetle, messaged me, with photos, of her inner door mechanism rebuild.

She has had to innovate—as we all learn when working on our vintage Beetles!

Seeing what she was doing made me think of a particular part—well, actually two parts, which we all have on our ’67 Bugs.  Quite obscure parts, I might add.

I went to a relevant cabinet drawer and pulled two pieces which I saved years ago.  I cleaned each and took measurements. And examined the material.  Hummmmm

Camera in hand, I took a few photos of two of these pieces which actually still are installed on my Beetle, dating from the factory.

Before you ask, no—these pieces are not on the car doors.

Then, I looked at a couple of catalogs from large VW parts distributors.  Unable to find any mention of the parts, I made a phone call to the technical assistance office of one of these VW Parts Sources.  The tech and I discussed the subject—in a few minutes he announced to me that these parts just are not available.  Which exactly matched my conclusion. 

Please view the photos below and comment.  Make a guess.  Or, if you know, reveal the parts’ application.

After we’ve received a number of comments, their true nature and application will be discussed here on 1967beetle.com.

Posted by Jay Salser

My wife, Neva, and I have been driving and working on VWs since 1976. In fact, we raised our family in these cars. Now, we are retired and enjoy VWs as a hobby. The ’67 Beetle always has been our favorite year. We own a '67 Beetle and a '68 Karmann Ghia.

  1. Jay Salser is back!

    1. I’d like to know as well.

  2. Anti rattle for the door unlock rod.

    1. But he said it’s not on the door… hmmm.

      1. Good observation! Soon we all shall know the truth! LOL jay

    2. Robert is correct!

      1. Mark–thank you for commenting….with comments continuing to come it..it shouldn’t be long before we must reveal the parts’ identity! jay

    3. Robert–thanks for reading and commenting! jay

  3. Robin Anne Palmer July 24, 2019 at 2:23 pm

    Heater control rod felts

    1. Robert Givler July 24, 2019 at 2:38 pm

      I re read and realized the author said not part of the door. My second guess is glove box door pads for the back of the dash.

      1. I like second guesses, also, Robert! LOL jay

    2. Hello, Robin–Thank you for commenting–stand by for the “great revelation”! jay

  4. Jody Sauvageau July 24, 2019 at 4:31 pm

    Glove box hinge seal / dampener.

    1. Hello, Jody–good to hear from you! Thanks for reading and commenting! jay

  5. Glove box arm pad

    1. Rich–thank you for commenting. I presently writing to reveal the identity of this “strange” part. Stand by! jay

  6. I was convinced I knew exactly what it is, until you mentioned it was not on the door. I was sure it was a felt piece that goes under the attachment mechanism for the regulator. I have to admit I have no idea.

    1. Hello, Ron…thanks for coming OnLine to comment. I hope that the Knee surgery is healing well by now! jay

  7. Well since we are all taking a guess, i would guess battery box felts

    1. Good afternoon, Ken…I appreciate your having responded to the question at hand. The answer soon will be published. jay

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: