Hello, classic Volkswagen community. We have a very special L282 Lotus White ’67 Beetle that’s just come to the market. Every now and then, the stars align and very original cars such as this surface. I love seeing all of the correct details; german front fenders, factory radio delete plate, colored fender beading as it should be, etc. Ah, I can hear the cadence of the engine from here.
Here’s the information we have from the owner, Thad Woodruff. He can be reached via email.
Location: Houston, TX
Price: $18,575, OBO
Owner Contact: SOLD
I have some history on this car and have been able to contact the second owner. I bought this car from a dealer who was selling it for a friend so I have had no communication with the third owner.
The first owner was a school teacher who had the car for its first 15 years. The second owner was a collector who owned it for 18 years. The third owner owned it for 18 years and apparently only drove it to car shows. I have owned it since October of 2018.
- Interior is completely original, right down to the factory floor mats.
- All five wheels have correct date code.
- Front and rear bumpers both have correct date code.
- Engine is original (H0)
- Except for windshield, all the glass has original factory markings.
- Lobster claw seat belts are original and in pristine condition and they retract perfectly.
- Engine compartment is 100% OEM correct.
- Backup lights are factory original and they work.
- Lights all work (including interior courtesy, turn signals, high beams, license plate)
- Rear bumper over-riders are original and correct.
- Original windshield washer reservoir has correct date code but does not hold pressure (a working windshield washer reservoir comes with the car)
- Original hold down tab for windshield washer line is still in place.
- Spare tire is a FULDA (one of the original factory tires)
- Original jack and tool kit
- Dash wiring is original and un-molested.
- Rubber weather stripping is all original
- Engine fan shroud still has white factory stenciling
- Engine valve clearance sticker is original (.004 clearance)
- Windshield wiper arms are factory original
- Original steering wheel is in pristine condition.
- Original factory tag is present on underside of back seat.
- Original regulator cover is still in place under back seat.
- Original felt liner that rear seat rests on is still in place.
- Back seat luggage area still looks as new.
- Original wind-lace and rear assist straps are like new.
- Original rear ash tray is in place.
- Front trunk liner is original
- Gas tank and gas cap are original
- Original hood spring covers.
- Hubcaps are original
- Rims are correctly painted.
- Front seats are original with seat back release knobs
- Window cranks are original (both windows roll up and down easily)
- Glove box is original
- Very nice nine-slat roof rack
- Heavy duty Cover-craft Cover that fully covers car, including roof rack
- Bumpers have original factory chrome which is outstanding for 54+ years old.
- To the best of my knowledge, everything except the windshield washers works.
- The car runs and drives really well.
- Heater and defrosters work well.
The following work was done in January of 2021.
- Oil cooler Seals
- Rear main seal
- Clutch disk pressure plate
- Throw-out bearing
- Transmission & engine mounts
- Accelerator cable
- Engine bay rubber seals
- Clean Engine tin & car dirt/oil cleaning, underside of car/engine bay
- Metal fuel line
- Transmission input shaft seal
- Overhaul carburetor
- Rebuilt OEM generator
- Rebuilt OEM distributor
These items were done in 2019/2020.
- Spark plug wires
- Spark plugs
- Heater cables
- Brake lines
- Axle boots
- Rebuilt Pierburg fuel pump
Beautiful, however this is not a perfect car
The original pans are in very good condition, including the area under the battery, but there is some rust at the rear underside of the car, primarily in the right bumper mount which has had an amateur repair that seems to be holding nicely. There is no movement in the rear bumper.
The left rear fender has had some rust along its seam and has a small crack in the paint. Since the crack is behind the rear bumper, it is not very noticeable.
There are several cosmetic items which would be fairly easy to remedy, but I like the originality and have chosen to leave them as is.
- The original driver seat covering is missing some of its beading.
- The original weather stripping on the driver side is missing a small portion at the top of the driver door.
- The original carpet shows some wear in a couple of places.
The car was undercoated when it was new. I have cleaned off a small area of the pan and there is bright black paint beneath the undercoating.
This car has to be one of the more original 1967 beetles. Its originality is what appealed to me and I hope it goes to a new custodian who likes originality.