Here’s a wealth of information in regards to selling a Vintage VW, from our good friend Chris Vallone of Classic VW Bugs in NY. One of the many things Chris and 1967beetle.com agree on is the lack of photos and information in current market listings. When selling a Vintage VW, it’s an up front investment. Chris explains below.
Let’s also talk a bit about the different types of sellers.
- The up-front person who wants to sell and knows how to advertise and sell. he also knows how to price his vehicle–he knows what it’s worth. He doesn’t place a reserve on it–it names the price he wants!
- The person who doesn’t know about his vehicle and who really doesn’t know how to advertise, what to include in the ad and makes mistakes in what he tells about the car–simply because he doesn’t know better. By the same token–he has not done his research in order to know how to advertise properly.
- The person who lies about everything. “Completely restored”; “professionally restored”; and so forth. And he’s lying about so many things it isn’t funny! I actually write to these kinds of people on eBay with a brief note about what I see. Some respond okay. Others don’t respond at all.
- Sellers who don’t want to answer questions. They resent the buyer who wants to know about the car or who wants an inspection, etc., etc. You address this type of seller. They really don’t know how to sell and so they can’t sell because of this ignorance.
But…………there are poor buyers, as well:
- Buyers who have not researched the car which they want to buy. They usually buy junk because of their lack of research.
- Buyers who mess with the seller–they promote a bad attitude from the seller because they don’t know how to buy–negotiate.
- Buyers who have researched and who know what they want. These are few and far between!
- This applies mainly to eBay bidders–they begin bidding on the first day of the auction. They get into a bidding war with some other guy and the two of them (usually 2) run the price out the roof–then they lose the auction because some big guy who knows what he wants to spend out-bids them at the last second.
Have you bought, sold, etc a vintage VW before? Chime in below.